Saturday, February 04, 2012

Review: Shades of Truth

Title: Shades of Truth
Author: Naomi Kinsman
Published: Nov. 15, 2011
Source: eGalley


It's Going to Be a Bear of a Year
Sadie thought she'd have a perfect fresh start when she moved to Eagle's Nest, Michigan, but finding her place in her new school proves harder than she expected. In this divided town, Sadie's father's job mediating between bear hunters and researchers doesn't help her social life. Sadie's art instructor encourages her to explore her beliefs and express herself through her sketchbook, and things improve after Sadie befriends a kind girl from school and a researcher's son---but she can't stop worrying about the bears. As everything swirls around her, Sadie must learn what it means to have faith when you don't have all the answers.

Review: 
I couldn't finish this book. I had requested it on NetGalley thinking I would like it, but I got halfway through and was just so bored. I couldn't read another page of the book. I don't know why it was like that, it could have been because it was from a seventh graders POV and it just seemed like petty drama to me.

Cover: I actually like the cover. It's cute and simple and it looks like a book for middle school kids. Which is the intended age group. It's captures a young girls thoughts perfectly. 

Plot: The plot was dull and boring. The most drama filled thing was a killing of a bear, and that was repeated multiply times. Which got old after a while. Everything seemed like petty little things, and much of the drama was really immature for kids their age.

Characters: Sadie's character was really strong for someone who was dealing with so much poop. Which was really nice. But she was also a little boring herself. She had some really deep thoughts, that made her think. 

All in all: I didn't really like this book. There were some good parts, but I also couldn't finish it. 11 out of 51 tacos, just because I couldn't finish it.
~~Sam :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to have your feedback! Let us know what you're thinking.

 
Design by Imagination Designs