Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review: Something like Normal


Author: Trish Doller
Published: June 19, 2012
Source: Purchased

Synopsis:
When Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero.

Review:
Something like Normal was an amazing book that pulled at your heart and had you crying, laughing, or just plain old swooning. This book had me up until the wee hours of the morning, okay 1 am, but that’s not the point! I read it in three hours, and I have to say those were three well spent hours!


Cover:
What is with all the close up covers lately? I mean, the cover definitely drew me in cause I like romances, but these covers have been dominating lately. I don’t know why, but I like them. The cover was cute, and fit the book.


Plot/Writing:
It had a good storyline, it was relatable and it seemed real. You could relate to Travis with the things he was going through, even if you weren’t a Marine. It was a very interesting story to read because it was told from Travis’s POV and you got a different look on the world from his eyes. You travel with Travis through the past, to when he was happy, with his Marines. Then you are with him as he suffers through the present with a deep regret of something you can’t help. This story just pulled at your emotions, I was either laughing my butt of, crying my eyes out, or swooning like a little girl.


Characters:
Travis was a douche at the beginning. I will admit that. He never wrote to his Mom during the war and was just annoyed with her when he came home. All he wanted to do was run away from his life and got back to the war. Sure, his dad was mean and his brother took everything from him, but his mom never did anything wrong besides loving him. He made some stupid choices, but in the end he was stronger and became a normal person. He let the strong, caring person he really is shine through and I loved seeing that side of him.

Harper is well… How I picture myself in four years, minus the still living at home part. She is strong and has a good head on her shoulders. I won’t give away any spoilers, but she proves herself to be awesome when she first see’s Travis again. I love how you see a strong girl who didn’t let rumors destroy her. Harper was amazing!


All in All:
I really loved Something like Normal. It was a cute, quick easy read that brought up some good reasons and points. I look forward to reading any more of Trish’s writing! J


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to have your feedback! Let us know what you're thinking.

 
Design by Imagination Designs