Monday, October 24, 2016

Review: And I Darken

And I Darken (The Conquerors Saga #1)

Title: And I DarkenAuthor: Kiersten White
Published: June 28, 2016



Synopsis:
No one expects a princess to be brutal. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.
Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, Radu feels that he’s made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she’s finally found someone worthy of her passion.
But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point.
My Review:
Guys. This book. I didn’t know what I was expecting starting the book, I had heard only good things and I am not a huge history fan, so I had no idea the backstory of the book. I loved all of Kiersten White’s previous novels so I immediately picked this one up so I could re-immerse myself in Kiersten’s amazing writing.

I was not let down. This book was absolutely stunning, from the character and world building to the unusualness of the plot. It was all amazing.

I listened to the audiobook and the narrator just enhanced that experience for me. I am really glad that I chose the audiobook since I would have never guessed how to pronounce half of the words in the book.

The narrator was amazing. As the characters grew, so did her voice. She didn’t just keep the same tone throughout the book, instead she changed it as if she was the characters growing up. It was phenomenal. It really helped me figure out the age of the characters and where they were in their lives. I knew that once the narrator’s voice changed, then the characters were growing older.

Lada, my fierce Lada. I loved how Kiersten White did not make this girl conform to the norms of the archaic society. Lada was her own person and she did not let anyone stop her. She fought hard and dirty for what she wanted and she was so intelligent. I loved that she did not let the fact that she was woman stop her from doing what she wanted. There were times when I wanted to just hug Lada and then smack her because she didn’t understand what was going on.

Radu, my sweet little Radu. Now, this is a character who needs some love and affection. There were so many times when I wanted to reach in and comfort him and make him feel better, especially after Lada was a little shit to him, but alas, he prevailed and learned how to take care of himself. Even if it was not in a brutal way, it was the way of using ones brain and intelligence to make things better, and I applaud him for all that he did to make his life comfortable. Radu, I am rooting for you. Always.

This book is a must read! I haven’t said that in a while, but it truly is. I can barely form the words for what I truly want to say about this book. I cannot wait for its sequel. I need to be in their heads again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to have your feedback! Let us know what you're thinking.

 
Design by Imagination Designs