Monday, March 26, 2012

Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have)

2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.
If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.
In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time. --bn.com


In lieu of this book, I have made my own list entitled Ten Things I Didn't Do (And Probably Should Have):


1.My math homework
2.Any reviews for the month of February
3.Finish my ever growing pile of unfinished books
4.My laundry
5.Practice my flute
6.Clean the red crayons out of the bottom of my backpack
7.Finish that  last episode of Castle
8.Write my word goal yesterday
9.Stop procrastinating
10.Sleep


This book was a very quick and easy read. It was fun and cute, and yet I felt that out main character April was a bit naive. Maybe I'm just mature for my age, but I felt that she made some pretty rash decisions, that I would never make. Ever. But maybe the no parents thing had something to do with it.


April and her friend Vi together have many problems. Vi seems a bit OCD sometimes, and has a bit of issues that I don't know that I want to spoil, but she's a nice girl. April's boyfriend, Noah is... Interesting. I didn't like him very much, right from the start. Hudson on the other hand...


But I digress. This book is awesome. It was real and down to earth, and everything had a consequence, which I found nice considering not everything I read does that. I absolutely adored it though, and the ending was just perfect. 36 out of 51 tacos! (If I could get a picture of a taco with a bite out of it, I totally would.)










No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to have your feedback! Let us know what you're thinking.

 
Design by Imagination Designs