Saturday, March 17, 2012

Review: Gift

Title: Gift
Author: Andrea J. Buchanan
Published: March 17, 2012
Source: eGalley

Synopsis:
High school sophomore Daisy Jones is just trying to get by unnoticed. It doesn't help that she's the new girl at school, lives in a trailer park, and doesn't even own a cell phone. But there's a good reason for all that: Daisy has a secret, unpredictable power-one only her best friend, Danielle, knows about. Despite her "gift" (or is it a curse?), Daisy's doing a good job of fitting in-and a cute senior named Kevin even seems interested in her! But when Daisy tries to help Vivi, a mysterious classmate in a crisis, she soon discovers that her new friend has a secret of her own. Now Daisy and her friends must deal with chilling dreams and messages from the beyond. Can Daisy channel the power she's always tried to hide-before it's too late? Extra features include:
A short graphic novel illustrated by Alexis Seabrook, telling Vivi's story
Danielle's journal, revealing her deepest thoughts.
Review:
The book captured my interest from the synopsis. It was very interesting and I liked the idea of it. Then I started reading it.. and I didn't like it.

Cover:
The picture is a little grainy but I really liked the color. It was purple, so I instantly loved it!

Writing/Plot:
The writing and plot wasn't superb. The story line was a little dull. Nothing much was happening and the things that were happening weren't very interesting or explained well enough. It was like we had to strain to understand what was going on. I didn't finish the book. About a 150 pages in I gave up.
The writing had some flaws. I know that it was an early release copy so it wasn't going to be perfect, but there were some major mistakes. Before each chapter, which I couldn't tell if it was a new chapter or not, I kind of guessed, there was this little paragraph that made no sense to the story.. It was interesting.

The Characters:
Daisy was very introverted. She only has one friend and she is very sectioned off from her life. She seems very determined though. She's inquisitive and has a very different power. The power isn't explained throughout the story so you're left wondering what the power is exactly.

Vivi, Danielle and Kevin are all very different. Vivi is sort of suicidal and a little odd. Danielle is the typical teenager and is just dealing with the usual issues a teenager deals with, plus Vivi's and Daisy's problems. The there is Kevin... Kevin is frankly quite creepy and to me a little stalkerish... Just my opinion..

All in all:
I didn't enjoy this book. I couldn't finish it. It wasn't up my alley and not my forte. 2 out of 5 tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to have your feedback! Let us know what you're thinking.

 
Design by Imagination Designs