Saturday, June 23, 2012

Review: Burn Mark

Title: Burn Mark
Author: Laura Powell
Published: June 19, 2012
Source: eGalley

Synopsis:
Cleo is from a family of witches. She is desperate to develop the ‘Fae’ and become a witch herself.

Lucas is the son of the Chief Prosecutor for the Inquisition and his privileged life is very different to the world of witches that he lives alongside.

And then on the same day, Cleo and Lucas both develop the Fae. In one fell stroke, Cleo and Lucas’s lives are inextricably bound together, whether they like it or not . . .
Review:
I just couldn't find myself getting into this book. I could barely get past 90 pages without wanting to hit something. It didn't have to do anything with the bad writing or errors, it was just boring to me. Nothing was happening and I didn't like not having any action.

Cover:
I really like the cover. It has this powerful meaning to it. Or it just looks pretty, one of the two. It reminds me a lot of the cover of Divergent by Veronica Roth because of the flame behind the fireball.  I mean look at it! It looks similar!

Plot/Writing:
As I said above, nothing was happening. It was just the boring mundane lives of a confused rich kid and a lower east side girl. Which how I set that up reminds me of a different story. I don't like stories that go nowhere in the first 50 or so pages. If you don't have a good hook, then I will give up on your story. I'm a teenager I get bored easily.
There wasn't anything wrong per say with the writing. It didn't express many details that I would like to know about and my copy of the book doesn't have a Cleo, it has a Glory. Instead of quotation marks above dialogue, she used apostrophes.. Which I don't know why, it really bothered me.

Characters:
Glory? Or Cleo? I don't know which.. The summary says one thing and the book says another. I'm gonna go with Glory because that is what she is called up until I stopped reading. She was very strong willed and brave. She just wanted to get her power and become an amazing witch. She didn't let anyone push her around and stood on her own.

Then there's Lucas. He is one of those privileged kids. Going to the right school and being the rich and popular kid. Yet, Lucas still has really good morals in place. He stands up for what he thinks is right, and doesn't let other people intimidate him into doing the things that he wouldn't normally do. He's also confused and scared, but that is because he got a power that no one ever thought he was going to get.

All in All:
I don't exactly request this book. If you like magic and wizards, then go ahead and read this one. 2 out of 5 tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to have your feedback! Let us know what you're thinking.

 
Design by Imagination Designs